• Follow us on twitter! @yourMHSnews

Superintendent Borchers officially signs Oak Ridge contract

Meera Zassenhaus and Nina Luo
April 16, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

ON SUNDAY, FEB. 24, THE Board of Education gathered to vote on whether to extend Superintendent Dr. Bruce Borchers’ contract through June 30, 2016. By a vote of 4-3, his contract extension passed. Yet on Thursday, March 28, 495 miles away in Tennessee, Dr. Borchers... Read More »

Teachers to jump in freezing lake for Special Olympics

Nina Luo, co-editor in chief
January 27, 2013
Filed under Features

Hypothermia is just one risk participants will take in the Polar Bear Plunge. On Saturday, Feb. 23, six teachers will jump into the freezing cold Creve Coeur Lake to raise money for Special Olympics. Dr. Greg Mathison, Scott Szevery, Eric Nesbit, Jane Montani, Gary Goulet and Amy Ahearn are the currently... Read More »

Hudson leads college trip to Washington D.C.

Nina Luo, co-editor in chief
January 12, 2013
Filed under News

During Spring Break, some students head south to Mexico to party; others stay and relax at home. But Junior Principal Carl Hudson is offering another option: a school-sponsored trip to Washington D.C. to visit colleges and sightsee. From Thursday, March 14 to Wednesday, March 20, students will visit... Read More »

“Captain McHugh” collects 1,000+ comic books

Nina Luo, Co-Editor
November 26, 2012
Filed under Features

For some, it's stickers. For others, it’s stamps. Colin McHugh, sophomore, collects comic books. McHugh’s collection of more than 1,300 books includes characters such as Ultimate Spider-Man, Captain America, Superboy, Teen Titans, Justice League Dark, Flash, and Deadpool. “I love comic books... Read More »

Key Club hosts reverse trick-or-treat

Nina Luo, co-editor-in-chief
October 28, 2012
Filed under News

As part of an effort to incorporate community service into PLC Late Start Days, Key Club will host a reverse trick-or-treat this Monday, Oct. 29 from 7:30 to 8:40 a.m. Students who bring in change to the stations (at the gym and main entrances) receive candy. Funds raised benefit Unicef, which provides... Read More »

Grad forms political action committee

Nina Luo, Co-Editor
October 17, 2012
Filed under News

“It's completely legal in Missouri to fire someone for being gay,” Aaron Malin, class of 2011, said. In response to the discrimination, Malin, who now attends Truman State University, co-founded Missourians for Equality with his roommate. Missourians for Equality is a Missouri Political Action... Read More »

Update on PLC Late Start: adjustments, community service

Nina Luo, Co-Editor-in-Chief
September 28, 2012
Filed under News

Although students might be used to the routine of PLC Late Start days, MHS only experienced its second Late Start day on Monday, Sept. 24. Like the first Late Start, first period started at 8:40 a.m. Also like the first Late Start, more students than usual were tardy to class.            ... Read More »

School, activities negatively impact sleeping habits

Nina Luo, Co-Editor-in-Chief
September 21, 2012
Filed under News

On... Read More »

Davis, Poskin consider D1 colleges, Olympics

Nina Luo, Co-Editor-in-Chief
September 20, 2012
Filed under Sports

"Everyone pees in the pool," Kevin Poskin, varsity swimmer, said. “That’s just one of the things people who don’t swim don’t know.” Poskin first joined the neighborhood swim team at age six because his sister swam on it. “So my mom threw me in too,” Poskin said. Poskin has swum... Read More »

District implements PLC/Late Start days

District implements PLC/Late Start days

Nina Luo, Co-Editor in Chief
August 22, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

Some mornings, students will be able to sleep in for an extra 20 minutes. On nine Mondays, Professional Learning Communities (PLC) will meet through the beginning of school, pushing the start of first hour from 8:16 a.m. back to 8:40 a.m. Principal Dr. Greg Mathison said the idea of having PLC Late... Read More »

State plans to audit Rockwood

Nina Luo, Associate Editor
April 22, 2012
Filed under News

The Missouri State Auditor’s office hasn’t audited Rockwood since 1994, but in the second half of 2012, it plans to conduct an audit of the district. Vanessa Chandler, director of communications for the Missouri State Auditor’s office, explained an audit as “an examination to determine whether... Read More »

Lasker, McGee crowned Prom King and Queen

Nina Luo, Associate Editor
April 17, 2012
Filed under Features

Prom: a magical night of fantasy, romance and fun. For MHS, Prom took place Saturday, April 14 at 7 p.m. with the theme “A Red Carpet Affair” at The Millennium Hotel. For two students, seniors Molly McGee and Dan Lasker, Prom meant more than just a dance. McGee was crowned Prom Queen, and Lasker... Read More »

Attendance not likely to be high on Friday

Nina Luo, Associate Editor
March 8, 2012
Filed under News

“I’m guessing only half of the student body is going to be here on Friday,” Megan Casserly, junior said. Casserly plans to go to the boys basketball game at 6:50 p.m. tonight in Columbia, MO. Her dad is driving her and her friends down, but Casserly doesn’t know if she’ll be attending school... Read More »

Pep rally to support boys basketball

Nina Luo, Associate Editor
March 5, 2012
Filed under News

“We’re having a pep rally to congratulate the varsity basketball team for getting this far post-season,” Assistant Principal Dr. Jennifer Sebold said. “And we want to pump them up for a win.”           The pep rally begins at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 7 in the large gym. The... Read More »

Heissler replaces Sisk in College Center

Nina Luo, Associate Editor
February 6, 2012
Filed under News

“I don’t think I could even begin to speculate how many letters I’ve written or transcripts I’ve sent out,” Chad Sisk, college admissions specialist, said. Over the last three and a half years, Sisk has worked with hundreds of students to prepare them for the college admissions process,... Read More »

Pain games popular despite risks

Nina Luo, Associate Editor
December 1, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

All around MHS, students are playing various competitive games involving pain. Alec Mayer, junior, often participates in Bloody Knuckles, a game where players keep a quarter spinning. The player who makes the quarter fall gets the quarter flicked... Read More »

Board of Education seeks new director

Nina Luo, Associate Editor
November 11, 2011
Filed under News, Uncategorized

Rockwood’s Board of Education is composed of seven board members; on Thursday, Oct. 20, Matthew Fitzpatrick resigned, leaving the director’s position open. The Board is now seeking applicants to fill the vacated position. “Candidates must be citizens of the United States, residents of the Rockwood... Read More »

Elangovan achieves ‘perfect tournament’

Nina Luo, Associate Editor
November 9, 2011
Filed under News, Uncategorized

High schools all across Missouri came together to compete in the Grandview High School’s 8-Round Novice Debate Tournament from Friday, Nov. 4 to Saturday, Nov. 5. Sanjay Elangovan, freshman, won first place in Lincoln-Douglas Debate, a division comprising more than 105 competitors. Assistant debate... Read More »

Justice system fails Troy Davis

Nina Luo, Associate Editor
September 22, 2011
Filed under Opinions

On August 18, 1989, a middle-aged man in Georgia named Troy Davis attended a pool party before leaving with his friend Darrell Collins. An hour after midnight, Officer Mark MacPhail died from one gunshot to the head and another to the heart. Witnesses later placed Davis at the scene of the crime. Davis... Read More »

Varsity field hockey goes retro

Nina Luo, Associate Editor
September 20, 2011
Filed under Sports

They’re parading around MHS in large green polo shirts and long plaid skirts. No, this isn’t the 90s. It’s “Turn-Back-the-Clock” day for varsity field hockey.             “I had these old uniforms in my cabinet from 2001,” varsity coach Richard Regina said. “Over the summer,... Read More »

Tornado whips through St. Louis

Nina Luo, News Editor
May 23, 2011
Filed under News

Strident tornado sirens indicating a Tornado Warning blared through St. Louis County for hours on Friday, April 23. Before the end of the night, the most powerful tornado known to the city in 44 years slashed through homes, stores and Lambert-St. Louis International Airport. At its peak, the “Good... Read More »

Dr. Sebold prepares to leave

Nina Luo, News Editor
May 20, 2011
Filed under News

Associate Principal Dr. Jennifer Sebold came to MHS this year. She worked with other administrators to bring elements of fun to MHS, including games and music at lunch during spirit week and the pep rally at night. Dr. Sebold also was recently named the Assistant... Read More »

President Obama calls to repeal No Child Left Behind

Nina Luo, News Editor
April 8, 2011
Filed under News

For nearly nine years, school districts across the nation have followed the rules of No Child Left Behind, the law that requires schools to administer a state-wide standardized test. Publically funded school must then make Adequate Yearly Progress in test scores each... Read More »

Rep. Todd Akin to visit MHS tonight

Nina Luo, News Editor
April 8, 2011
Filed under News

Crowds will gather and cameras will flash because a celebrity is visiting MHS—well, a political celebrity. From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. tonight, Congressman Todd Akin plans to speak in the Theatre. Republican Akin represents the Rockwood area, as well as other cities including... Read More »

Renaissance to hold practice ACT

Nina Luo, News Editor
March 31, 2011
Filed under News

Before taking the real test, MHS students can take a practice ACT on Saturday, April 2 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Students will test in the Flex Room          Renaissance is partnering up with Sylvan Learning Center to offer the practice ACT. The test costs $10, but 100 percent of the proceeds... Read More »

Dr. Bruce Borchers restructures district

Nina Luo, News Editor
March 4, 2011
Filed under News

In light of the recent budget cuts, Rockwood has implemented changes from the removal of teachers to the increase in parking prices. But the restructuring of the district’s central office is not part of the new budget plan. "This was not a budget driven decision,"... Read More »

Corbett wins Teacher of the Year

Nina Luo, News Editor
March 4, 2011
Filed under News

On Friday, Feb. 25, principals popped into Karen Corbett’s classroom with balloons and a potted plant, interrupting a student’s dry run presentation. Minutes later, an announcement rang throughout the school: Corbett, ALAR/P and AP Lang teacher, had won Teacher... Read More »

Restructing the district’s central office not affected by budget

Nina Luo, News Editor
February 10, 2011
Filed under News

In light of the recent budget cuts, Rockwood’s process to close the revenue gap has implemented changes from the removal of teachers to the increase in parking prices. But restructuring the district’s central office is not part of the new budget plan. “This was not a budget driven decision,”... Read More »

Chemistry classes donate Hot Wheels to Toys for Tots

Nina Luo, News Editor
December 17, 2010
Filed under News

Vroom. Vroom. Students of Ed Bolton and Melissa Gable’s chemistry classes brought in 1,280 Hot Wheels to support needy children through the Toys for Tots program. "MHS collected about six Hot Wheels per student and Lafayette collected about two Hot Wheels per student,"... Read More »

Staff participates in cart races

Nina Luo, News Editor
December 7, 2010
Filed under News

On Tuesday, Dec. 7, teachers supported needy families at MHS by participating in a chili cook-off, silent auction, and cart races. Tom Pummill, language arts teacher, picked up books and cans while steering his orange, flame-decorated “Shellinator” cart, and slung a messenger bag over his shoulders... Read More »

Senior Women sell Wintergrams to raise money

Nina Luo, News Editor
December 3, 2010
Filed under News

“Every year, teachers give money to needy families at MHS,” Senior Women President Culver Randolph, senior, said. “This year, Ms. Klingensmith came up with the idea of Wintergrams to get the students involved.” Senior Women sold Wintergrams on stage at lunch from Monday, Nov. 29 through Friday,... Read More »

Fosheim to become a high-fashion model

Fosheim to become a high-fashion model

Nina Luo, News Editor
November 12, 2010
Filed under Features

Height: 5’8". Waist: 24". Hair: Blonde. Eyes: Green. Her name is Allie Fosheim, sophomore, and she could very well be the next supermodel. Fosheim was discovered by Jeff and Mary Clarke, co-founders and co-owners of Mother Model Management, a high-fashion... Read More »

Mayor of Chesterfield resigns to be president at Metro

Nina Luo, News Editor
October 15, 2010
Filed under News

On Monday, Oct. 18, Chesterfield will experience a change in leadership as Mayor John Nations resigns to be the new president of Bi-State Development Agency (Metro.) “I’m very excited to be offered this opportunity,” Mayor Nations said. “But it is with mixed emotions I leave the people of... Read More »

All juniors to take free ACT

All juniors to take free ACT

Nina Luo, News Editor
September 27, 2010
Filed under News

Through the nation its inevitable spread is like the black plauge, looming tall and dark over college applicants: the ACT. The number of graduating seniors taking the ACT rose 6 percent from last year to 1.57 million, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education. The ACT is a three-hour nationally... Read More »